Volunteering & Work Experience
Since its inception over 30 years ago, volunteers have always played a vital role in the work of Square Chapel Arts Centre and we currently have a large team of volunteers who support the work of the organisation in a variety of different ways. As a registered charity, Square Chapel would not be able to deliver such a diverse range of cultural events if it were not for the support and enthusiasm of our volunteers.
In early 2020 we will be recruiting a small number of new volunteers. If you would like to join the 70-strong team of volunteers at Square Chapel, all we ask is that you share our passion for performing arts and that you would enjoy sharing that enthusiasm with our audiences too.
Our programme of events tries to reflect the multi-cultural community that we serve. We are committed to inclusivity and encourage participation from all, irrespective of their ethnicity or identity. We would particularly welcome volunteer applications from people with disabilities as well as those in the Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) community.
Volunteer roles at Square Chapel include ushering at live events and films, welcoming visitors to the building, helping out in the café, producing The Halifax Arts Podcast and working alongside paid staff at the box office and on the bar. Many volunteers take on one specific role although many others volunteer in more than one area of the organisation. It all depends on the individual and the skills that they can offer. More details of the different volunteering roles can be found below.
If you would like to be considered for a role as a volunteer, please email our volunteer coordinator, Andrew Sykes (email@example.com) and include the following details in your message:
- Your name
- Your email address
- A contact telephone number &
- A paragraph of not more than 200 words explaining why you think you would make an excellent Square Chapel volunteer. If you are interested in a specific role (on the box office for example), please give details of skills and experience that you think would make you a good candidate for that role.
The deadline for applications is midday on Friday 31st January 2020.
A shortlist of applicants will be drawn up and those people will be invited to Square Chapel in early February for an informal group chat about volunteering. If, after attending this meeting, both parties are happy for you to progress with your application to join the team of volunteers, we will ask you to attend two ‘training’ shifts. Once these shifts have been completed successfully to the satisfaction of both parties, we will invite you to become a Square Chapel volunteer.
Volunteer roles at Square Chapel Arts Centre
- Event ushers; checking tickets, escorting people to their seats, selling merchandise and ensuring the health and safety of all visitors.
- Foyer volunteers; meeting and greeting visitors, distributing brochures and flyers, answering questions, giving guided tours of the buildings and, during busy periods, assisting the staff in the bar and café.
- The Halifax Arts Podcast: presenting, interviewing, reviewing…
- Bar volunteers; serving drinks, taking orders for food and assisting bar staff during busy periods.
- Box office volunteers; selling tickets for upcoming events and assisting box office staff.
- In addition to these roles, we also have a small number of volunteers who help the event technicians and who offer an extra pair of hands to the small marketing and outreach teams.
Please note: travel expenses are paid up to a maximum of £5 per volunteering shift.
Work Experience and Volunteering
If you are in Year 12 or 13 and are interested in completing a period of work experience at Square Chapel Arts Centre, you will get much more out of the placement if you are already involved in the work that we do.
The best and easiest way of getting involved is, as a first step, to sign up as a volunteer. You’ll have the chance to meet interesting people, see ground-breaking theatre and enjoy some of the latest films whilst volunteering. When the time comes to complete your week of work experience, you’ll already know the people who work here, be informed about the work that we do and be familiar with the building itself.
We can’t guarantee a work experience placement for everyone who volunteers at Square Chapel but it would a great way to show us that you are interested in what we do.
As mentioned above, we will be recruiting new volunteers in early 2019. If you are interested in volunteering, work experience or both, please look out for more information nearer the time.
More Information about volunteering and work experience
Please contact Andrew Sykes, the coordinator of volunteers and work placements on 01422 353073 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A small one-off donation makes a huge difference. Donate today.
Thank you! Your donation has been added to the basket.
Something went wrong, please contact the box office.
01422 349 422
Sun & Monday: 10am - 6pm
Tuesday - Saturday: 10am - 8.30pm
Café & Bar
Sun & Monday: 10am - 6pmEmail us
Tuesday - Saturday: 10am - late
Sunday & Monday: 11.30am – 2.30pm Tuesday – Saturday: 11.30am – 2.30pm & 5pm – 7.30pm